The Healing Power of Camp

I know that as I post this families are moving college student back to campus, and schools have either started or getting ready to. So maybe a post about camp seems a little late out of place. But, I think before we totally get into the season of cool weather and Pumpkin Everything, it's worth lifting up the beautiful, healing power of Camp.

This summer I went to Camp Luther, a Lutheran Family Camp on Lake Erie near Conneaut, OH. Between my family, my mom, my siblings, my cousin and all their family there were 21 people in the "Bell Clan." We shared the week with another 80 family campers, a good chunk of who were also related. I cannot tell you how rare it is for all us to spend an entire week together like that in the same place...well actually I can. The last time it happened was in 2014 and even then my mom was down with an injury and couldn't come.

There is something amazing watching your kids spend the whole week with their cousins playing and laughing and running and becoming "best friends." There is something life giving of spending the week with family who spread out over 4 states and half the country. There is something deeply spiritual about getting to spend time in study, prayer, and worship with not just the family, but also with people from across the faith spectrum. And even though I was camp chaplain and led worship each night, it didn't feel like work, it felt like a gift.

I did not realize how badly I needed that week till I had it. I did not know how much it would mean to worship with my siblings and preach for them till I did it. I did not appreciate how healing that week would be till it was over. I'm not saying it solved all my problems and was a perfect week. Even the grace of God could not redeem the terrible mattress we slept on. and three kids in a car for 20 hours is...trying, not matter what the reason.

What I am saying, is that there something deeply healing in the very act of Camp that fed my soul and renewed me as a pastor and as a person of faith. It was worth the two days of driving each way, the children being cooped up, the not insignificant fees, and the questionable beds. I was healed at camp in a way that doesn't usually happen on vacation. And I came back from it ready to do my job as a pastor and to renew my calling as a follower of Jesus. I came back from a camp a lot more healthy and whole than when I arrived there.

So if you've never tried a church camp, let me recommend Camp Luther or one of our other family camps. You don't have to be a kid to go, though we Lutherans do have a lot of great camps for kids across the country. Or maybe just strike out on your own into God's wilderness and find your own place of renewal. As we head into fall be intentional about planning that time apart for next spring or summer or whenever you can. There is something good about getting away from the everyday to somewhere beautiful and peaceful. There is something healing about going to camp.

Comments

  1. It was a blessing for me to have all of you together, sharing love and joy together. And those sunsets! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Pastor Andrew. I am also a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about you being a Pastor of Lutheran Church. I am blessed by going through your blog post on Luther Camp. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. we would love to have young people from your church come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and the ministry. My email id is : dhwankhede@gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tour like https://www.shimlapacks.in/shimla-honeymoon-tour-packages-jalandhar is something which is great and at the same time interesting as well. You need to look out for the best and make the most of it. Do not look for a place which does not have much to offer you. Look for the best and leave the rest.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment