Dreaming of a Brighter Future



What’s your dream for the future? 

That’s a question we usually only ask children or young adults to help them plan for life after school, focus on a career, or meet a goal. But when’s the last time we asked that of our churches? When the last time we asked everyone from our elders to our youth of their dreams for the community they call home? When the last time we really dreamed big for what our church could be, instead of planning only what it is or what we fear it might become? I’m not talking about abandoning reality and daydreaming the impossible, although with God the possible is pretty wide open. Rather, I simply want to ask us to have some optimism, some hope, and some faith that the century old work of this congregation, and millenniums old work of the kingdom of God is far from over, and in fact that our best days are yet to come.

So what are your dreams for our church, St. John’s Lutheran, or for your own congregation? What are your dreams for your ministries, for your leaders, for your worship time, for your building? What are your dreams for your work in your community and in the wider church? What are your dreams for your own ministry? Trust me, whether you are 1 or 100, you all have a ministry to do. What are your dreams for your neighbors and your friends? What your dreams for God’s kingdom? We are told in the book of Revelation that old men and women will dream dreams and young women and men will have visions, but that’s not just for the end times, it’s for today as well. We as a church need to dream, because it’s part of our calling and because a church that does not dream is already dying.

 So let me ask you again. What is your dream for the future? I’d love to hear it sometime over coffee or lunch or in my office. For my part, I’m taking the next few months to share my dreams for this church, in St. John's newsletter and on this blog. Some of those dreams will seem very easy. Some of them may cause you to wonder what I put in my coffee when I write. However, as a pastor, I am called to dream big even if in the end that dream is impossible. Dreams after all are not a list of demands, but a way of exploring what God may be calling us to. I encourage you to share your dreams as well, with your group of friends, in Sunday school, at worship or with your congregational leaders. Not all dreams will come true but by envisioning our life together, I believe we can help find an amazing future for our church, and most importantly start to see God’s plan played out in our pews and in our lives. So dream big and God Bless

This also was my article for our church newsletter, obviously visiting in person may be hard for some reading it here :). However, if you want to share a dream in the comments, go ahead.


Comments