Advent Project Devotional: Day 25 - 4th Sunday in Advent

Day Twenty-Five
Fourth Sunday in Advent
Rev. Cindy Johnson
Pastor
St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church
Carroll, Iowa


Isaiah 7.10-16
Psalm 80.1-7, 17-19
Romans 1.1-7
Matthew 1.18-25

And Mary said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant. Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed; for the Mighty One has done great things for me, and holy is his name. His mercy is for those who fear him from generation to generation. - Luke 1: 46-50 

As a child, I was given a magnifying glass one birthday. I loved looking at various things with that glass. The ridges of my fingerprints, the size of a ladybug under that glass, the small print of a book, you get the idea. When I looked through that glass everything became bigger and it became closer.

Mary’s song opens with her declaration that her soul magnifies the Lord. Her soul is making the Lord more important and closer to her. She rejoices that she is able to do this because God has looked upon her lowliness.

Actually, God magnified Mary! Her obedience and willingness to be a part of God’s plan has lifted her up to be known as the Mother of God. Elizabeth’s proclamation that she is blessed among women has come to fruition. Mary recognizes her blessedness in her song. And she understands that she is blessed because of what God is doing.

In magnifying God’s work among us, I would lift up his wonderful mercy to all of us who fear him. Fear, not in being afraid, but in respect that God is God and I am not. This frees me to see others as God sees me and to magnify their cares and joys before the Lord. I can see others and make them bigger in my life and closer. Looking through the lens of a magnifying glass opens so many opportunities to serve others, to be a blessing to others, and to bring joy and fulfillment to our faith walk with the Lord.

We are rapidly approaching Christmas Day. Amidst the frenzy of opening gifts, the creation of feasts, the welcome of family and friends, let us remember to magnify the Lord. We are celebrating “God with us,” for the Lord has drawn so close to us. 
___

Gracious Lord, thank you for your servant Mary. Thank you for coming closer. Give us the courage to use the magnifying lens in our heart to see others as you see them, and to grasp your nearness. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Comments