Making Room For God: Lenten Discipline & Sacrifice

The season of Lent begins today with Ash Wednesday services across Hickory and US. This is a time when folks traditionally "give up something for Lent." To the left is a word cloud of some popular choices. Now, things like TV, unhealthy food or drink, bad habits and technology are good things to abstain from, at least in the short term. Too many of us are overweight or over-connected. So, if that's what your doing, go ahead, it's a good discipline that will hopefully have good results. 

However, let me suggest that if you are looking for a good Lenten discipline, one that is grounded in spirituality and faith, there are some good theological questions to ask first. 

1. How does this make room for God in my life?

2. How does this enrich my faith and make me a better disciple of Jesus?

3. How does this draw me away from the world and draw me closer to God?

Now, if you can't come up with a solid answer to these or even a decent rationalization, that doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong. Again, self-care is a good thing. The point of Lent though is not just self-care, it is an intentional act of turning back to God and removing those things from our life which push God to the edges, or out, of our daily routine. It is a time of reflection where we attempt to make room for God so that God's Spirit might speak to us. It is a time of discipline when we repent for our sins, are forgiven and try again to become better disciples of the one who gives us eternal life, Jesus Christ. It is a time when we try to live in such a way that gives those around us a preview of what that new life in Christ looks like.

So, my Lenten discipline, is centering prayer. Now this is not a perfect example or a show of brilliance! It is simply something I learned about recently and has proved immensely helpful. Centering prayer is based on the idea of giving space and time for God to speak to us through silent, contemplative prayer. What that looks like for me is 20 minutes of silent meditation/reflection followed by a slow recitation of the Lord's prayer. This practices makes room for God by forcing me to shut up and listen. It gives me a sense of peace and helps me focus on my calling as a pastor and more importantly as a disciple of Christ. It also draws me away from all those things that I believe are so, so important and reminds me of the importance of "Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). I am forced to sacrifice time I could be spending on other things, but in the end, I hope and believe it will be time well spent.

Now, you may look at that and go, "That's a great idea!" or  "All that silent meditative junk is not for me." Good! We are not all called to the same path or discipline. My hope and prayer though is that you find a discipline, a sacrifice, a fast, that not only benefits you but answers those God centered questions I listed above. Whatever you do, do your best at it, embrace the challenge and see what happens. Don't worry if you slip or fail. Our salvation is not dependent on our Lenten obedience, but rather on the perfect obedience of Christ our Savior. So, have blessed Ash Wednesday and may your Lent draw you closer to God so that the Spirit may bless you with faith, hope and love and you follow Jesus.


P.S.: If you want to know more about Centering Prayer check out Centering Prayer of Charlotte for information and background from folks who know a whole lot more about this practice than I ever will.

Comments